Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Baby #2

Here is our first picture of Baby #2. I talked with the Dr.'s office today and the ultrasound report looked wonderful. The fetal movement, size, abdomen and all the other things they look at came back looking healthy and normal...what a special blessing! The baby actually measured 2 days ahead of schedule...I'll take that!

I have some things to think about during this pregnancy; primarily, how I will deliver. I was under the impression that since our hospital does not permit VBAC's (vaginal birth after Cesarean) that I was going to have a repeat c-section. However, at my appt. on Friday my doctor told me that if I wanted to have a VBAC, he would contract me out to Loma Linda University Medical Center and have the VBAC done there. I told him that I didn't think my insurance covered LLUMC, but he said they have an agreement, checked our insurance and said, yes, they do cover it. Hmmmmm....interesting. If I did elect to have a VBAC, my care would be transferred at 36 wks. to LL and that physician would take over.

I'm not sure what I'll do...part of me would love to try a VBAC, and the other part of me doesn't want to put myself, or my baby in any unnecessary harm (there is some risk associated with a VBAC, and yes, I know some with a repeat c-section....). I'm glad that I'm not overly passionate about either one, I feel like we're going to be able to make a good, educated decision and I really think I'll be happy either way. If I did decide to have a VBAC, I feel very good about being at Loma Linda. This is one of the top hospitals, with a great team of physicians. I had a friend who had a successful VABC just weeks ago at LL and another who is planning one this month. I'd like to talk to a/the physician who would be my physician if I decided to go with a VBAC and talk through a couple of things. I also have to understand that I may end up with another c-section even if I decide to do a VBAC. So, I'll keep you posted on what we decide. I'm glad we're able to think through this, and at least have the conversation.


Katie said...

Jodie--I'm so glad you have options, whatever you end up deciding! :) You probably remember me waffling between the two options for quite awhile...it's a hard decision. You know I'm here if you ever want to chat about it!

micah and erica said...

I'm so proud of you for considering a VBAC. I know several women who have had them very successfully. My roommate from college (Jenny, do you remember her) and another friend from school as well as a couple older ladies. It seems like a really cool thing to do and with the great hospitals in your area I am sure you will have full confidence in whatever decision you make. (but just so you know, for whatever it's worth, I'm rooting for the VBAC)

Grandma Nancy said...

Love the new background...everything so crisp and clear! Love my little grandson, too!!